No Jobs I am Moving Overseas! I recently read an article called “No Jobs in the U.S. I’m Moving!” on money.cnn.com that describes the opportunities overseas. Moving to where? Anywhere I can find a good job! The job market in the U.S. is pretty bad and the prospects are not too good in the near future. Where are you going?
The economy in the U.S. is sluggish at best, many people are looking elsewhere. Two new grads are starting a business in China. Why not? There are a lot of people going to China on vacation. They are starting an adventure tourism company specializing in sightseeing runs, culinary foodie tours and cultural excursions in China. Their target audience is young people who want a different kind of experience. Best of all they do not worry about the economy any more.
- A general manager of a wireless phone store wanted a change of career. She started volunteering and realized she enjoyed training teen entrepreneurs. Circumstances lead her to Chile and a nationally funded program in entrepreneurship in Chilean schools. Today she is in charge of a social innovation start up launched in rural areas and the slums of Chile. She is also building a social motivation lab for young Latin American change makers with the support of the U.S> and Chilean public and private sectors.
- A travel editor from Portland moves to Vietnam to save money! With online writing assignments paying very little, he decided to reduce his expenses by moving overseas. The assignments do not pay much, so he adds to his income by building websites. Freelance writing and building websites is a good start. Most of the time he travels in Southeast Asia where living expenses is very cheap.
- Panama here I come! Latin America is the fastest growing economy in the world. Buying a small boutique hotel was the route to a business which may be just the right kind of business for a growing economy. Is this dropping out of the mainstream? Perhaps! Running a business overseas may be just the answer to a stagnant economy in the U.S. Latin America is the new destination for retirees and other ex patriots.
- Next we find an American in Paris! She was a humanities and literature student in graduate school who did not know what to do as a career. She joins a start up Public Relations firm in an entry level position. Took the opportunity to learn the business and moved up into management as the company grew. She had no experience, learned the PR business and gets to live in Paris. A lot of people would love that!
- Lose your job on Wall Street! What should you do? Move to Buenos Aires and join a start up, of course! He becomes head of marketing of rental company of high end villas and apartments throughout Argentina, Brazil, Columbia and Uruguay. Living in a foreign country can be expensive and difficult if you do not know the language. Argentina is one of the more reasonable South American cities in terms of expenses.
- A teacher job is hard to find! Education budgets are slashed in every state in the union. What is a new grad to do? She goes to Kuwait, of course. Teaching positions overseas is in demand. We have the best universities in the world and our graduates are in demand, why not go overseas. She will teach 10th and 11th grade literature in Kuwait. Let the adventure begin. When you are overseas, you can travel around and see more of the world. That combined with experience will enhance your career.
Whether you are a new graduate or you have a few years under your belt, career decisions come up and creative solutions in a bad economy may be the answer. Everyone comes to that fork in the road when you ask yourself, “What is your Next Step?”. You could move in with Mom and Dad and sponge off them or take that leap of faith and do something different! Which do you think looks better on your resume? In the long run, the experience of an overseas assignment can only enhance your experience, if you plan on returning to the U.S. What would you do, if you face this bad job market and no prospects? I know what I would do! No Jobs I am Moving Overseas!
Photo by: Melloveschalah