A new year is interesting! It just seems a new year should start out with something interesting to stimulate your thinking. It all starts with you! How can you make yourself more interesting at work, social situations and with friends and family? It starts with what you do, how you do it and how well you do it. This is the best time to make changes in your life so this year will be more interesting and successful.
In business, there is professional development and in your personal life, often it is your personality. How do you develop a more interesting personality? It starts with experience! In other words, what have you done? It may start with your friends, books, school, travel, interests and family, but it is what you do with it. How do you handle things in general? It may be reduced to problem solving or soft skills. It is really a lot of things to help you develop.
What makes you interesting? It may be your experience or what you did with it? We all read books, see movies and listen to music, but we all handle it differently. It may be the selection of material or what you do with your selection? Do you read books, magazines, newspapers or only online? Do you look for different views or perspectives in the information? Do you just accept any printed material as truth or correct? Do you naturally dismiss or suspect all written material?
Do you have just a few interests such as sports, social media and watching videos? What makes someone more interesting? It would probably be more and diverse interests! Do you have natural curiosity? Does your curiosity extend beyond your hobbies? Do you go deep? When you read about something you are interested in, do you learn everything about it? Do you become an expert? The more information you have, the more interesting you have become.
Here are some quotes to stimulate your interests:
- “To me, photography is an art of observation. It’s about finding something interesting in an ordinary place… I’ve found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them.” (Elliott Erwitt)
- “When you’re curious, you find lots of interesting things to do.” (Walt Disney).
- “Be willing to step outside your comfort zone once in a while; take the risks in life that seem worth taking. The ride might not be as predictable if you’d just planted your feet and stayed put, but it will be a heck of a lot more interesting.” (Edward Whitacre, Jr.)
- “Creativity is a great motivator because it makes people interested in what they are doing. Creativity gives hope that there can be a worthwhile idea. Creativity gives the possibility of some sort of achievement to everyone. Creativity makes life more fun and more interesting.” (Edward de Bono)
- “What’s amazing is, if young people understood how doing well in school makes the rest of their life so much interesting, they would be more motivated. It’s so far away in time that they can’t appreciate what it means for their whole life.”(Bill Gates)
- “I would never talk just to be social. Now, to sit down with a bunch of engineers and talk about the latest concrete forming systems, that’s really interesting. Talking with animal behaviorists or with someone who likes to sail, that’s interesting. Information is interesting to me. But talking for the sake of talking, I find that quite boring.” (Temple Grandin)
- “Being in love was like China: you knew it was there, and no doubt it was very interesting, and some people went there, but I never would. I’d spend all my life without ever going to China, but it wouldn’t matter, because there was all the rest of the world to visit.” (Phillip Pullman)
- “I can’t read music. Instead, I’d do stuff inside the piano, do harmonics and all kinds of crazy things. They used to put me in these annual piano contests down at Long Beach City College, and two years in a row, I won first prize – out of like 5,000 kids! The judges were like, ‘Very interesting interpretation!’ I thought I was playing it right.” (Eddie Van Halen)
- ‘From an early age I didn’t buy into the value systems of working hard in a nine-to-five job. I thought creativity, friendship and loyalty and pushing the boundaries of what was acceptable was much more interesting.’ (Adam Clayton)
- “Clothing and makeup and hair and all of that so much indicates the kind of person you are inside and the person you are presenting on the outside. Sometimes they are in conflict, and sometimes they are the same. That psychology of the exterior informing the interior is just so interesting.” (Tatiana Maslany)
Many things make us interesting! It may be something we read or something experience or learn in a class. It could be something you see or heard about, but it still requires you do something about it. Is it enough that you just read about Paris or do you have to experience it? Life can be fun and interesting! Work can be fun and interesting, but that is up to you! Just saying that something is boring is not the answer! You have to take action to make your life more interesting. What are you doing to make your life more interesting and successful?
Photo by: Flickr