My 2014 New Year’s Resolutions will be different! Normally, I do not make New Year’s Resolutions because I do not believe in them. Why wait for a particular date to resolve or promise to make changes? Changes such as weight loss, quit smoking or drinking, get out of debt, or something else can start at anytime. In fact, I started my mine during 2013. What are you doing about you New Year’s Resolutions?
Normally, I put together three to five resolutions and report my progress quarterly. I will continue to do that, but my resolutions have changed significantly. I will continue to make changes in my blog and other changes, but I have changed my priorities. The last few years have been difficult! My career in teaching has changed significantly. I love my career, but I have suffered setbacks because I teach what the district thinks is unnecessary.
Preparing my students for college or career is a district goal, but computer applications do not have relevance. Business courses such as Personal Finance, Career Exploration or Virtual Business has lost importance as well. Elective classes provide more than just a subject my students may have a passing interest. Emphasis has switched to test scores as more students drop out of school. My students learn practical skills for school and career.
My 2014 New Year’s Resolutions are the following:
- Permanent Teaching Assignment – I have been without a permanent teaching assignment since last June. What that means is I am still employed (same salary & benefits), but take daily assignments much like a substitute teacher. I am working on finding a permanent assignment for next September. I am networking and applying all my skills to reach my goal. My other choice is to just accept my plight and work as a pool (substitute) teacher for the next 3-4 years. I am not ready for that yet!
- Taking Time off – I included this goal last year. I did take one weekend off, but was unable to do it again. If I keep it as a goal, I am more apt to try to achieve it again. I already have a week scheduled in New York and I want to add a two week European river cruise next summer. In addition, I want to take at least two weekends away.
- Read one book a week – A few weeks ago, I read two books a week for entire year. I decided to do it to improve my writing. I think it helped, but it was fun to read all those books. Most were mysteries and a few with business books. In fact, I read a twenty book series by one author during the summer. It was great to follow the characters through all the stories. The author would build the character through multiple stories which was really interesting.
- Take an online class – I was thinking of learning a programming language. Nearly forty years ago, I was programming in APL. I used it to create a monthly analysis of the company’s performance. It was like a mini annual report. This was before spreadsheets such as Microsoft Excel. A programming class might enhance my skills as a teacher.
- What’s left? –I could pay off debt, but I do not have any except for a small mortgage and car loan. I am already paying additional principle on my mortgage and car loan to have them paid off in two and half years.. I max out my retirement savings in my 403B, IRA and Roth IRA. I suppose I could invest more or payoff my mortgage, but I choose to travel instead.
- There are some personal habits I think I will work on, but it is unnecessary to include them in my resolutions. I plan on smiling more, you know match what I feel inside with my outside. I do not need to lose weight, stop drinking or quit smoking. Some may call me boring! I would like to think of myself as a role model! Can I workout more, I doubt it!
These are my 2014 New Year’s Resolutions! I did not give up on old resolutions and I will include any progress on those when appropriate. Failure only occurs when you actually give up. My 2014 New Year’s Resolutions are next stage of change and I will continue to make changes.
Photo by: Sean MacEntee
Photo by: Flickr
Please make sure to subscribe to our RSS feed to get the latest updates!