It’s a new year and you’re determined, once and for all, to have a new you! While it may seem daunting and overwhelming, everything can be achieved with a clear, well thought out plan. While we always need to have an end in sight, it’s often easier to achieve our goals if we break them down into smaller segments with shorter time frames. The notion of losing 50 pounds can be an immediate stress inducer which could trigger a sudden chocolate binge! A more manageable goal would be to aim for 10% of your body weight as a weight loss goal. While you may want to lose more than this, start with an amount that is reasonably attainable within a shorter period of time. After you have achieved your initial goal, you’ll be on a roll and ready to tackle the remaining pounds.
If you’ve indeed decided to lose 10% of your body weight, that would be 20 pound for a 200 pound individual. Do the simple math based on your weight. A healthy weight loss should not exceed 4 pounds per week. Any more than this and it won’t be sustainable. Remind yourself that during this process, you’re actually achieving several goals. Goal one is to lose the weight. Goal two is to develop healthy eating and exercise habits. Finally, goal three is to maintain a healthy and strong lifestyle.
Over 80% of success in weight loss can be attributed to consumption and healthy eating habits. The remaining 20% comes from healthy workouts at a local gym. Focus on reducing pounds through consumption and gaining muscle strength and elasticity through weight training and cardiovascular exercises. A super easy way to determine if your food choices are both healthy, nutrient dense and calorie light is to select foods with as few ingredients as possible. Ideally, consume food just as mother nature produced it. A simple piece of fish with herbs & spices, whole grain rice with olive oil and a fresh vegetable or salad are healthy and tasty choices. Go easy anything white. Consider white breads, creams, sauces, dressings all to fall within the ‘white’ family. Avoid these as they more often than not are high in calories and low in nutrition.
Grab a friend or family member to join you on your journey. Celebrate your new lifestyle!