Attitude is everything! If you think you will succeed, you will. “If you say you can or you can’t you are right either way.” (Henry Ford) If you want to make a change, you should start with attitude! If you do not believe you will succeed, you will not. This is the time of year when we set goals or make resolutions to change something in your lives. Why attitude is everything?
Everything starts with attitude! If you want to lose weight or make changes in your personal finances, you have to believe that you can do it. Why would you set a goal, you know is impossible? Everything is sales and you first need to persuade yourself. You need to believe that you are capable of solving whatever obstacle or impediment that prevents you from success. Attitude is a state of mind or feeling about someone or something.
I know attitude affects my state of mind when I am interviewing. If I cannot believe that I am the best person for the position, I know I will fail. My positive attitude helps me connect better with the interviewer because I am looking for ways to fit. I think this is true whether it is an interview, sales call or just trying to accomplish a goal. Attitude is everything! It does not stop there! It affects what you think is entertaining or funny. It can affect friendships and behavior.
It affects everything! I see it in my classroom when students who have failed before are unwilling to try. Whether you are a student or employee, your attitude (negative or positive) affects your learning. I often heard students say they were bad at math. Their perception of math was negative and it affected their attitude. Simply said, they were limited their expectations. Do you think you will succeed with your goals with a negative attitude?
Your attitude about learning determines your success! Whether you are in school or industry, everyone must learn new things. Your attitude about education or training will materially affect your future. You could be a skilled professional that needs to learn a new technology or unskilled worker learning basic skills, attitude can affect both individuals. If you see the importance of learning the skill, you will learn it. If you view the training as just an interruption or keeping you from accomplishing your work, you will fail.
Five tips to change your attitude
- Identify that you want to change – Similar to problem solving, you need to spend time to figure out what you want to change about your attitude. Is it negative or is it just affecting your ability to succeed, after you identify the problem, you can create a plan to change it. Look at role models and make the appropriate changes.
- Find a compelling reason – Change will not just happen by itself. There has to be a real or significant benefit to make a change…Women will lose unbelievable weight to fit into a particular wedding dress. A one day event like a wedding for the bride apparently is enough to motivate some people.
- Break it down – Big changes do not work! Take your big changes and break it down to daily or weekly tasks that are much easier to achieve. Changing attitudes or habits are not easy! Change requires a strategy because it is your beliefs about someone or something. A few years ago, I tried to become more patient. I became conscious of what happens when I am impatient. I worked on changing my reaction and I am more aware of my attitude!
- You can change your reaction! – Most of us just react to situations! Your boss tells you to go to training or an unscheduled meeting; you can view it as an interruption or an opportunity. I remember assigned to a project which was high profile, but a lot of work in the trenches with a lot of downside. You have to focus on the opportunity!
- How do you deal with failure? – If failing stops you from achieving your goals, you definitely need to change your attitude! Failure should be just one of the steps on your way to success. Most people do not achieve success without mistakes, failures or obstacles. If you were like me, you didn’t just coast through school with straight A’s. You occasionally blew a test or made mistakes. It was a great life lesson if you learned from it.
Attitude is everything! That can do attitude help us achieve more than just going through the motions. Negative attitude can stop us before we get started. In the work place, we see grouchy or unhappy people. They are usually ones who are negative and do not last long. More people are fired for their lack of soft skills than incompetence. An important soft skill is positive attitude. A positive attitude means you can overcome obstacles and succeed. Attitude is everything!
Photo by: Flickr
Carnival of MoneyPros hosted by Save and Conquer
Yakezie Carnival hosted by Moneystepper
Finance Carnival For Young Adults hosted by 2 Copper Coins
Carnival of Financial Independence hosted by Savvy Scot
Carnival of Financial Camaraderie hosted by Your PF Pro
Carnival of Financial Planning B hosted by The Color of Money
Carnival of Personal Finance hosted by Figuring Money Out
Carnival of Money hosted by Carnival of Money
Attitude is everything!
Please make sure to subscribe to our RSS feed to get the latest updates!